Hi friends, today we have a Date & Almond Chocolate Cake for you. This recipe has been tested quite a lot during the past months. Usually we run our recipes 2-3 times before posting them on the blog, but I’ve lost count on how many times we’ve ‘tested’ this recipe. It’s one of those recipes where we always seem to have all the ingredients at hand and it has quickly become our go-to-cake whenever we have friends coming over and we need an easy dessert.
Summer has for sure put it’s mark on Copenhagen; the grocery stores are booming with locally farmed strawberries. Nothing, in my opinion, says Summer like a tray of these juicy & sweet ruby red fruits. So of course we had to have strawberries with this cake.
As a final touch we’ve dusted the cake with almond flour which we think makes it look super pretty. It’s the same flour that goes into the dough, which sort of keeps the ingredient list shorter. Oh, and as a ‘style tip’, I’ll encourage you to line the spring form with baking paper. It’ll make the cake look a little ‘rustic’ (and it’ll make the cleaning so much easier!).
Date & Almond Chocolate Cake
(Makes a 20 cm/8 inch cake)
350 g pitted dates
75 g almond flour
75 g coconut oil, room temperature
50 g coconut sugar
50 g cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F, and line a 20 cm/8 inch spring form with baking paper.
- Pit the dates and add them to a food processor along with the coconut sugar, coconut oil, and cocoa powder. Process until smooth.
- With the food processor running, add one egg at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Occasionally stop the food processor and scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the almond flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a spatula, fold the almond flour-mix into the dough.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared spring form. Bake until a wooden stick inserted into the center comes out clean (approx. 30 minutes).
- Once baked, place the cake on a cooling rack for 5-10 min before releasing and removing the spring form. Let the cake cool completely on the rack before removing the baking paper.
- Serve with fresh strawberries and almond flour on top. Enjoy!